From Microsoft Edge 83 it is possible to leverage a policy to prevent a Edge desktop shortcut as part of the installation. When provision a brand new device with Windows Autopilot you can assign a policy to the device to get it on the device before you are deploying the Edge installer from Intune as well.
This policy only works if the policy is effective on the device before the Edge is being installed. In my case I’m deploying Edge from Intune and leveraging enrollment status page (ESP) to block Windows until Edge is installed.
I wrote a blog earlier this they on how to install Edge with a customer installer parameters that does the same. Deploy Edge without Desktop Icon
But this this new policy you can leverage the native build-in Edge application in Intune.
There can be scenarios where you still see Edge Desktop shortcut – one example is if you are using One Drive Know folder move and have the icon on the desktop on a different device.
Creating the policy in Intune
- Select Devices
- Select Configuration profiles
- Click Create Profile
- Select Platform : Windows 10 and later
- Select Profile : Administrative Templates
- Enter Name : Prevent Edge Desktop as part of Autopilot
- Select : Computer Configuration
- Select : Microsoft Edge Update
- Select : Applications
- Select : Prevent Desktop Shortcut creation upon install default
- Click Disable
- Select group to Assign the policy to your autopilot group
You can also leverage the policy based on the channel/version and not all verions.
If you enable this policy a desktop shortcut is created when Microsoft Edge is installed. If you disable this policy, no desktop shortcut will be created when Microsoft Edge is installed. If you don’t configure this policy a desktop shortcut to Microsoft Edge will be created during installation. If Microsoft Edge is already installed, this policy will have no effect.
- Administrative Templates/Microsoft Edge Update/Applications/Microsoft Edge
- Administrative Templates/Microsoft Edge Update/Applications/Microsoft Edge Beta
- Administrative Templates/Microsoft Edge Update/Applications/Microsoft Edge Canary
- Administrative Templates/Microsoft Edge Update/Applications/Microsoft Edge Dev
End user experience
After the fist sign in to the desktop on a brand new autopilot provisioned Windows device – Edge is installed but there is not desktop shortcut.
In the registry you can see that the policy is applied:
- In Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\EdgeUpdate
- CreateDesktopShortcutDefault has the value of 0